Safety Solutions Tailored for the Steel Industry
Procter Machine Safety is a leading designer and manufacturer of machine guards and we have served the steel industry for over 100 years.
From our base in South Wales, we supply guards worldwide. Our expertise in guarding for the steel industry is one reason why customers trust us to design, manufacture and install standards-compliant machine guards that will protect workers without adversely affecting productivity.
Types of guarding
The demands of the steel industry necessitate robust guarding. Depending on your application and requirements, we will supply one or more types of machine guard:
- modular perimeter guarding with steel framing and wire mesh or sheet steel infill panels
- bespoke guarding or enclosures comprising fixed and/or movable sections; these can be fabricated from sheet steel or wire mesh and we can optionally incorporate fume extraction, swarf conveyors, etc
- bespoke acoustic enclosures
- standard workshop guards
In addition, we offer:
- interlocks, key-exchange systems, light guards and other safety devices
- bespoke access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders
- barriers and bollards to protect against damage from mechanical handling equipment
Why guard machines in the steel industry?
Employers have legal and moral obligations to ensure the safety of employees, and machine guarding also helps to avoid costly downtime by preventing accidents.
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to maintain compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place.
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- machine surveys
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- electrical integration
- modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
- installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
Our machinery safety specialists have a wealth of experience in machine guarding, as well as a detailed working knowledge of British, European and international standards and regulations. By applying ergonomic principles, we ensure our guards do not hinder machine operation or maintenance.
All fabrication is undertaken in-house using our state-of-the-art CNC punch press and press brake, welding and finishing plant, meaning that we maintain complete control over quality and delivery timescales.
We adhere strictly to an ISO 9001 Quality Management System that covers the design, manufacture and installation of machine guards.
Customers usually contract us to install the guards so as to minimise disruption and complete the work as quickly as possible and to the highest possible standard. Benefits of using our installation service include:
- highly experienced fitters
- large team of fitters enables installations to be completed very quickly
- our electricians integrate guard switches and other electrical items in compliance with the necessary standards
- installation at times that are convenient to you, including nights, weekends and scheduled maintenance shutdowns