Machine guarding for the Packaging industry
Procter Machine Safety has over 60 years’ experience in the design, manufacture and installation of machine guarding and access platforms for the paper and packaging industry. Previous customers include market-leading businesses in the UK and overseas. Depending on the type of application, we manufacture guards in stainless steel for wet areas or mild steel with galvanising and/or a tough polyester powder coated finish for guards installed in less harsh environments.
Our experienced machine guarding designers are familiar with the needs of the paper and packaging industry, as well as the British, European and international standards. By taking into account ergonomic principles, we design guards that are not only standards-compliant but also user-friendly and quick to remove for set-up and maintenance.
Our guards are designed, fabricated and finished in our factory in South Wales, giving us complete control over quality and deliveries. Machine guards for paper and packaging machinery plants in Europe meet the requirements of the following standards:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13855
- EN ISO 13857
- relevant Type-C machinery safety standards
If requested, we can also comply with standards from other regions, and/or the customer’s in-house specifications and standards.
Our production equipment includes the latest generation of CNC punch press, press brake, welding and finishing plant. The design, manufacture and installation of machine guards is covered by our internationally recognised ISO 9001 Quality Management System.
Why guard machines in the paper and packaging industry?
If people come into contact with heavy rolls and fast-moving webs there is a high risk of serious or fatal injury. Furthermore, paper-making machinery has a long operating life, so machines are still in use that were manufactured long before today’s standards and regulations came into force. Over time, many machines have been modified without adequate guarding being fitted.
All employers in the UK have legal and moral obligations to ensure the safety of workers, and guarding also prevents accidents that would otherwise result in costly downtime.
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to maintain compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place.
Similar legislation and regulations cover machinery safety in other countries.
Types of guarding
In most cases we undertake a site survey and then recommend the most suitable guarding. Typically paper and packaging machinery will require a combination of the following:
- in-running nip guards for rollers
- fixed and movable bespoke guarding or enclosures; these can be fabricated from stainless steel or mild steel to suit the specific application requirements
- modular perimeter guards with the addition of bespoke components where necessary
In addition, we offer:
- interlocks, key-exchange systems, light guards, laser area scanners, pressure-sensitive mats and other safety devices
- bespoke access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders
- barriers, corner protectors, bollards, etc to protect against damage from mechanical handling equipment
Comprehensive service for the paper and packaging industry
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- machine surveys
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- electrical integration
- modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
- installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
A majority of the guards that we manufacture for customers in the paper and packaging industry are bespoke and we normally undertake installation as part of the contract. Advantages of using our installation service include:
- highly experienced fitters
- large team of fitters enables installations to be completed very quickly
- our electricians integrate guard switches and other electrical items in compliance with the necessary standards
- installation at times that are convenient for you, including nights, weekends and scheduled maintenance shutdowns
If you need guards, access platforms, walkways or fixed ladders for paper and packaging machinery, contact us to discuss your requirements.