Machine Guards for Pulp & Paper Industry
Procter Machine Safety is a leading manufacturer of bespoke machine guards, with paper mills, being an area of expertise for 60 years. From our base in South Wales we supply guards throughout the UK, Europe, USA, Middle East and elsewhere. Our expertise in this field is one reason why customers in this industry trust us to supply standards-compliant machine guards that do not adversely affect productivity.
Custom Safety Solutions for Paper Mill Machinery
If personnel come into contact with heavy rolls and fast-moving webs there is a high risk of serious or fatal injuries. Furthermore, paper-making machinery has a long operating life, so machines are still in use that were manufactured long before today’s standards and regulations came into force. In addition, many machines have been modified without adequate guarding being fitted. All employers in the UK have legal and moral obligations to ensure the safety of workers, and guarding also prevents accidents that would otherwise result in costly downtime.
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC.
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to ensure compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations).
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place. Outside the UK, similar legislation and regulations require the use of machine guarding.
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- Machine surveys
- Risk assessments
- Stakeholder consultations
- Mechanical and electrical installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
- Modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
Types of guarding
Depending on your application and requirements, we will supply one or more types of machine guard:
- Nip guards
- Fixed and movable bespoke guarding or enclosures
- Modular perimeter guarding with bespoke components where necessary
In addition we can supply:
- Preinstalled interlocks
- Light guards and other safety devices
- Bespoke access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders conforming to en iso 14122
Design and construction
Our design experts have a total of over 250 years combined experience in machine guarding, as well as a detailed working knowledge of standards and regulations. Guards for European paper mills and paper-making machinery meet the requirements of:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13857
- Machine-specific standards such as EN 1034-1 and other relevant parts of EN 1034
Applying ergonomic principles ensures the guards do not hinder machine operation or maintenance. Guarding for paper-making machinery is usually fabricated from stainless steel with sheet metal or wire mesh infills, but we also offer mild steel (galvanized or powder-coated), aluminium and polycarbonate. All fabrication is undertaken in-house using our state-of-the-art CNC punch press and press brake, welding and finishing plant, meaning that we maintain complete control over quality and delivery timescales. Our ISO 9001 Quality Management System covers the design, manufacture and installation of machine guards.