Machine Guarding for Manufacturing
Machine guarding for the
For over a century, Procter Machine Safety has been a trusted designer and manufacturer of machine guards for the manufacturing sector. Operating from South Wales, we serve manufacturing businesses across the UK, Europe, the USA, the Middle East, and beyond. Our extensive experience in this field makes us the top choice for creating standards-compliant guarding solutions that prioritize employee safety while maintaining productivity and ease of maintenance.
The Importance of Machine Guarding in Manufacturing
In the manufacturing industry, employers have both legal and moral obligations to ensure the safety of their employees. Machine guarding is not just a compliance requirement but also a practical way to avoid costly downtime by preventing accidents. Here’s what you need to know:
- New machines must comply with the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC, which includes CE marking.
- Existing machines must undergo periodic assessments to ensure compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations).
- Both directives emphassze the need for suitable safeguards to protect employees.
Our Comprehensive Service
We take care of every aspect of your machine guarding needs:
- machine survey
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- mechanical and electrical installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
- modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
Types of Machine Guarding
We offer a range of machine guarding options tailored to your specific needs:
- Standard workshop guards
- Close-fitting sheet metal guards
- Modular perimeter guarding in steel or aluminum, with various infill panel options
- Fixed and movable bespoke guarding or enclosures, including stainless steel or polycarbonate, with optional features like fume extraction and swarf conveyors
- Bespoke acoustic enclosures
In addition, we provide:
- Preinstalled interlocks
- Light guards and other safety devices
- Bespoke access platforms, stairs, and fixed ladders
Design and Construction Expertise
Our seasoned designers collectively bring 250 years of experience in machine guarding. They possess an in-depth understanding of standards and regulations, ensuring that guards for manufacturing companies in Europe meet or exceed requirements like:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13857
- Other relevant machine-specific standards
We are also flexible and can comply with your in-house standards upon request.
Applying ergonomic principles ensures the guards do not hinder machine operation or maintenance.
All fabrication is undertaken in-house using our state-of-the-art CNC punch press and press brake, welding and finishing plant, meaning that we maintain complete control over quality and delivery timescales.
Our ISO 9001 Quality Management System covers the design, manufacture and installation of machine guards.