Machine guarding for the Recycling industry
It is a sad fact that recycling is one of the most hazardous industries; the nature of the machinery is such that accidents are often severe or fatal. Procter Machine Safety has the expertise to design, manufacture and install machine guarding for recycling machinery to help prevent accidents.
We also offer barriers and bollards to separate pedestrians from mobile machinery, thereby reducing the risk of people being struck.
Our guards are designed, fabricated and finished in our factory in South Wales, giving us complete control over quality and deliveries. Recycling machinery guards are designed and manufactured in compliance with all relevant standards. In Europe, this will include the following as a minimum:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13857
Our production capability includes a state-of-the-art CNC punch press, press brake, welding and finishing plant. Guards can be given a long-lasting hot-dip galvanised finish and/or polyester powder coating. We adhere to an ISO 9001 Quality Management System that covers the design, manufacture and installation of machine guards.
Why guard machines in the recycling industry?
Accident statistics from the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) show that waste and recycling is one of the most hazardous in the UK. One way in which companies can reduce the risk of accidents is by ensuring all machinery is adequately guarded. Moreover, employers have legal and moral obligations to provide a safe working environment and safe work equipment.
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to maintain compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place.
Other countries place similar legal obligations on employers.
Types of guarding
The demands of the recycling industry necessitate robust guarding. Depending on your application and requirements, we will supply one or more types of machine guard:
- modular perimeter guarding with steel framing and wire mesh or sheet steel infill panels
- bespoke guarding or enclosures comprising fixed and/or movable sections; these can be fabricated from sheet steel or wire mesh
- conveyor guarding, including in-running nip guards
In addition, we offer:
- interlocks, key-exchange systems, light guards, pressure-sensitive edges and other safety devices
- bespoke access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders
- barriers, bollards, etc to separate pedestrians from vehicular traffic and mechanical handling equipment, and prevent damage to equipment and buildings
Comprehensive service for the recycling industry
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- machine surveys
- site surveys
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- electrical integration of guard switches and other electrical items
- modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
- installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
Customers in the waste and recycling industry normally make use of our installation services. Benefits include:
- highly experienced fitters
- large team of fitters enables installations to be completed very quickly
- electrical items connected in compliance with necessary standards
- installation at times that are convenient for the customer to avoid disruption
Contact us to discuss your requirements for machine guards, access platforms, walkways or fixed ladders.