Machine Guards for the Automotive Industry
For over 30 years we have designed, manufactured and installed specialist machine guarding for the automotive industry, including OEMs and Tier 1 and 2 suppliers. Our guards are used in production and warehousing environments, and we also manufacture and install bespoke access platforms, stairways and fixed ladders. Customers in the automotive industry appreciate our attention to detail, adherence to tight deadlines and, above all, our compliance with machinery safety standards. Although production is largely automated today, we take account of ergonomics to ensure our guards protect workers without hindering productivity, while also being quick to remove for access in the event of planned or unplanned maintenance.
Custom Safety Solutions for Automotive Production
Our designers have a detailed working knowledge of the relevant machinery safety standards, plus a wealth of experience in creating standards-compliant guards for use in ‘real world’ production environments. As an example of the standards that we work to, machine guards for plants in Europe meet the requirements of as a bare minimum:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13855
- EN ISO 13857
If requested, we can also comply with in-house specifications and standards provided by the customer or end user.
All machine guards, access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders are manufactured in our South Wales factory using a state-of-the-art CNC punch press and press brake, welding and finishing plant. This means we have complete control over quality and delivery timescales.
Our ISO 9001 Quality Management System covers the design, manufacture and installation of machine guards.
Types of guarding
The demands of the automotive industry necessitate robust guarding. Depending on your application and requirements, we will supply one or more types of machine guard:
- modular perimeter guarding with steel or aluminium framing and welded wire mesh or sheet steel infill panels
- bespoke guarding or enclosures comprising fixed and/or movable sections; these can be fabricated from sheet steel or wire mesh and we can optionally incorporate fume extraction, swarf conveyors, etc
- bespoke acoustic enclosures
- standard workshop guards
In addition, we offer:
- interlocks, key-exchange systems, light guards, laser area scanners, pressure-sensitive mats and other safety devices
- bespoke access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders
- barriers, corner protectors, bollards, etc to protect against damage from mechanical handling equipment
Why guard machines in
the automotive industry?
Employers have legal and moral obligations to ensure the safety of employees, and machine guarding also helps to avoid costly downtime by preventing accidents.
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to maintain compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place.
Comprehensive service for
the automotive industry
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- machine surveys
- site surveys
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- electrical integration
- modifications to safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
- installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
Customers in the automotive industry normally use our installation service so as to minimise disruption and complete the work as quickly as possible and to the highest standard. Benefits of using our installation service include:
- highly experienced fitters
- large team of fitters enables installations to be completed very quickly
- our electricians integrate guard switches and other electrical items in compliance with the necessary standards
- installation at times that are convenient for you, including nights, weekends and scheduled maintenance shutdowns