Machine guarding for the Oil and Gas industry
Procter Machine Safety has a long history of supplying machine guarding to the oil and gas industry. We have the expertise and industry experience to design, manufacture and install machine guards that meet the needs of companies in this sector.
In addition, we can install bespoke access platforms, staircases and fixed ladders for use inside and outside.
Our guards are designed, manufactured and finished in our factory in South Wales, giving us complete control over quality and deliveries. The guards comply with all relevant standards; in Europe this includes the following as a minimum:
- EN ISO 12100
- EN ISO 14120
- EN ISO 13857
When we supply bespoke access platforms, staircases and fixed ladders, they comply with the requirements contained in BS EN ISO 14122 (Safety of machinery – Permanent means of access to machinery).
Our factory in South Wales has a state-of-the-art CNC punch press, press brake, welding and finishing plant. Guards and access platforms can be hot-dip galvanised and/or polyester powder coated for long-lasting protection against corrosion and a high-quality finish.
Our ISO 9001 Quality Management System covers design, manufacture and installation.
Why guard machines in the oil and gas industry?
Employers have legal and moral obligations to provide a safe working environment and safe work equipment. Furthermore, having adequate machine guards and access platforms helps to prevent accidents and, therefore, downtime. Given the high cost of lost production in the oil and gas industry, a small investment in guarding and access platforms can pay dividends in the long run. Regarding the legal situation, bear in mind the following:
- New machines must be CE marked to the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Existing machines need to be assessed periodically to maintain compliance with PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)
Both the Machinery Directive and PUWER require suitable safeguards to be in place.
- The Work at Height Regulations 2005 require that the right type of equipment is used for working at height; measures such as access platforms and staircases are safer than relying on an individual to take action when working at height.
Other countries place similar legal obligations on employers.
Types of guarding
The demands of the oil and gas industry necessitate robust guarding. Depending on your application and requirements, we will supply one or more types of machine guard:
- modular perimeter guarding with steel framing and wire mesh or sheet steel infill panels
- bespoke guarding or enclosures comprising fixed and/or movable sections; these can be fabricated from sheet steel or wire mesh
In addition, we offer interlocks, key-exchange systems, light guards, pressure-sensitive edges and other safety devices.
Types of access platform
Access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders are always custom-designed for each application. We design, manufacture, finish and install the following:
- access platforms
- fixed ladders
- step ladders
- guard rails
Other products we frequently supply to customers in the oil and gas industry include bollards, barriers and corner protectors to prevent pedestrians, equipment and buildings from being struck by vehicles and mechanical handling equipment.
Comprehensive service for the oil and gas industry
We undertake all aspects of the work:
- machine surveys
- site surveys
- risk assessments
- stakeholder consultations
- electrical integration of guard switches and other electrical items
- modification of safety-related control systems to accommodate new safety devices
- installation at times to suit you – such as overnight, at weekends or during scheduled shutdowns
Customers in the oil and gas industry normally use our installation services, particularly for access platforms, stairs and fixed ladders. Benefits include:
- highly experienced fitters
- large team of fitters enables installations to be completed very quickly
- our electricians connect electrical items in compliance with the necessary standards
- installation at times that are convenient for you to avoid disruption
If you work in the oil and gas industry and require machine guards, access platforms, stairs or fixed ladders, contact us to discuss your project.