Design Engineer, Leeds (West Yorkshire)
Procter Machine Safety are an industry leading well established UK company providing a comprehensive range of high quality, fully compliant guarding, safety solutions and services across all sectors of industry. Our manufacturing facility is based in Caerphilly supported by two design centres in South Wales and Garforth near Leeds.
We currently have a team of nine mechanical design engineers across the two offices coupled with teams of electrical design engineers offering a complete solution from both sites. Due to our ongoing investment strategy for growth in The North we require an addition Mechanical Design Engineer in our Leeds facility.
The Design Engineers role is pivotal to our entire product offering with every solution being bespoke to the exact needs of the application. This is achieved by fully understanding the processes at site, consulting with production, maintenance and health & safety contacts within the customer to understand the exact solution required. You will work closely with our electrical, manufacturing and installation teams to ensure project is successfully delivered to the customer’s complete satisfaction.
This is an incredibly varied role where no two projects are ever the same, with opportunities to work in all sectors of industry whilst applying your engineering knowledge and flare for design. We use the very latest CAD technology yet still utilising the traditional skills of hand drawing at site and in the office on certain projects.
If you have experience within the safety industry that would be beneficial, but we are seeking someone who has the mechanical skills and a desire to work with our customers to deliver the best end product and service. Therefore full safety regulatory training will be provided as part of your development.
Due to the specialist nature of this position you will be paired with an experienced Design Engineer for at least the first year of your employment for support and training.
- Consult with customers at site to understand their needs and requirements
- Produce design drawings for quotation purposes
- Create detailed drawings for issue to manufacturing
- Ensure designs are within budget by working closely with our estimators and sales team
- Design cost effective solutions utilising standard components and manufacturing techniques wherever possible
- Create long term working relationships with our customers by delivery a strong value based offering and exemplary customer service
- Be commercially aware and look for further opportunities within each customer.
Skills, attributes & experience
- Solid mechanical engineering background with design knowledge and relevant qualifications
- Ability to hand sketch and measure at customer sites
- Working knowledge of Autocad packages
- Capacity to learn on the job and implement learning as required
- Able to plan time effectively to maximise daily output
- Flexible approach to working to ensure the job gets done
- Excellent people skills both internal and external
- Comfortable working under their own initiative and work as a team
- Capacity to problem solving utilizing own initiative
- Sound verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient IT skills
- Full driving licence
- Able to travel and work away from home on a regular basis
- Salary £35k per annum
- Car allowance
- Option for some home working
- Pension scheme
- Funded training and development
If you seek a rewarding and varied position within an industry leading family business that will support and develop your skills and career please send us your CV.